Update (10/20/21): Focusing on other life priorities at the moment! Miss it here dearly. Contact me if you need anything! :) Thank you!

10.27.2015

Midget Monday #4


Welcome to another edition of Midget Monday. Again, I missed the Monday mark. So sorry about that. This is exactly the reason why I don't schedule my posts.

Anyway, with Halloween now just a few days away, I thought I'd bring you a set of stories that have slightly more Halloweeny themes.. :) Hope you enjoy!

What is Midget Monday?

Midget Monday is a weekly post containing one micro-poem (~6 lines or less) and one "micro" story (~300 words or less). Poems and stories may sometimes share a theme, but will usually be two random, mismatched topics. I may also build more upon any of the poems or stories that I use in these posts, so you might see these (or something similar) again in the future!


                                                                                    
Midget Monday #4
                                                                                    


Micro-Poem

"CLOCK" by maximerokus on DeviantArt

Witching Hour

Chime does the bell
For the midnight hour;
Bewitched are the graves
On this night of power -
Beware the cry, the infamous mark,
Beware the shadow returned from the dark.




Micro-Story

Into the Spectral Woods

     "I don't like it here at night," Arabelle whispered as she continued forward cautiously, half-crouched to avoid the forest's lower branches. "Are you sure we should be here? There was a sign..."
     "Just wait," said Lucia, leading the way deeper into the unfrequented wood. "You have to see it. It's like nothing I've ever.." she paused for a split second, shrugging, "like nothing I've ever seen."
     Twigs cracked beneath their feet as the two friends made their way further, through the shadows and fallen autumn leaves.
     Lucia slowed her pace slightly, and Arabelle followed suit, glancing Lucia's way before quickly inhaling her next breath of air.
     The forest began to change as they passed through some sort of barrier that neither of them could see. It felt as if they had just walked through an invisible wall and into a patch of air that felt.. heavy. Different than any other part of the forest. The trees started to take on an eerie glow; they began shifting like mirages, appearing like transparent ghosts and emitting a low, powerful hum.
     Speechless at this bizarre sight, Arabelle froze in place, watching the trees as they maintained their phantom appearance.
     Lucia smiled, having witnessed this many times before. She looked towards Arabelle and said simply, "Welcome to the Spectral Woods."

--------------------------------

6 comments:

  1. Great job, Eve. ;)
    I could never write anything this length...my stories tend to go on and on...forever. LOL. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yeah, it's not always easy, that's for sure. I think it's better that way, though - to have a tougher time writing short pieces. It's a challenge either way lol. Hard to trim stories when you have too much, and hard to make them longer when you have too little.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Erin! ^^ I was sort of hurrying to get this out before Halloween, so both the poem and story aren't quite as I'd liked them to be. But I wasn't sure what else to add to them, and I'm happy enough with 'em. I can always perfect the stories later, I suppose!

      Delete
  3. Hey Eve :)

    I just really love the way you write ;0 You always surprise people with your amazing ideas and your style :D (I also love the character's name. Lucia and Arabelle are names we don't hear a lot in stories :P) The poem and the story are both a perfect match with the Halloween theme I love the ending of the story ; Welcome to the Spectral Woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you so much, Heena. :) It's nice to hear that, even though I'm a pretty cliche writer. The majority of my pieces involve very overused topics and ideas. But whenever I write up something that doesn't really have any new qualities or ideas, then I hope that they at least come off as enjoyable despite the fact that they're not that original.

      If people can enjoy them, then I'm perfectly fine with being cliche! ^^ (Though I am trying to work on being more unique in my writing.)

      Also, yes, I really liked those names. I can already tell I'll be using them in other stories sometime.. ;)

      Delete

Your comments make my day, and I appreciate every single of them. Let me know what's on your mind, and don't hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions. I'll do my best to get back to you!

Make sure to tick the little "Notify me" box if you would like to be notified when there are any replies or further comments.

*Blogger is currently having issues with email notifications related to comments. Please excuse any response delays, and check back frequently!